Sunday 7 August 2016

Picnics and harvests

Today we decided to walk to a local village along the Public Footpaths.  It's about a 40 minute walk and the sleepy village has the River Skerne running through it.  It's actually the river that runs along the bottom of our field.  There's a lovely green area next to the river and the railway line, so we took a picnic for lunch and enjoyed some family time relaxing by the river and eating some treats for lunch.  We thoroughly enjoyed it as did the dogs.  We could only take the 2 younger ones as Buddy can't go far these days.  It does make me laugh when I wonder what people will make of us, turning up in jodhpurs, gardening clothes and mucky faces from the morning's jobs.  They will soon find out if they speak to us they won't find a more down to earth family, but I do think our "work clothes" would stop a lot of people doing that :-)
 
My beautiful daughter and a tired Rodney
 
You can see that smile too, right?
Jack was mightily impressed that he found a sticker which he was sure would lead to treasure!

Rodney enjoying the walk
 When we got back it was time to get on with some more jobs.  Grace had rode both ponies on the morning and had put the jump back down to jump the dogs over them to have some fun whilst she was waiting for me.  There's a large tree and part of it had come down whilst we were out walking.  It was super windy, but I'm glad it didn't come down whilst she was riding!
 
I harvested lots of yummy food from the veg plot to have for Sunday lunch.

I couldn't resist taking this, such a pretty sight or am I cracking up?

Dwarf beans, lovely!

Purple podded peas and late picked broad beans
 Whilst tea was cooking, it was time to make sure Buddy got a walk out too.  He doesn't go on a lead now, ever.  It was part of what I wanted when we moved away from a main road.  He doesn't go far and isn't the fast dog that he used to be.  The lane in the background is literally outside our gates.  We're so lucky to be able to open the gates and let him have a wander.  Grace makes sure he's safe and I'm sure he keeps an eye on her too ;)  Both under my watch of course.

 
I always like to look for the silver lining and today's wind brought lots of windfall apples!  SO you can guess what recipes I am looking for tomorrow.  1 full bucket and 1 1/3 full.  I think they are all cookers.

 

Today's eggs haul

This is my first attempt at plaiting onions  Maybe they needed longer to dry out but I couldn't wait.
 
Last of the year's rhubarb
Oooh and 4 sleeps left until my last day, 5 until I'm waking up off work! 

6 comments:

  1. Do I see apple sauce bottled for use throughout the year, apple jelly - on its own or as a base for herb jellies, winter spice jelly, cinnamon and apple jelly, dried apple rings, apple chutney.... my nan always used to reckon that the windfalls were the best. oh and there is apple pop, cider and lots of other goodies too. Glad you have had a lovely day and then when you are on holiday you will be able to play.

    Catch you soon.

    pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love apple sauce with roast pork so I think I need to get on with some of that after my chutney. Fabulous ideas, thank you. x

      Delete
  2. Oh I love love love your harvest, Tracy! Can't wait until we get a cooking apple tree. We hope to have rhubarb next year. So excited about having our own onions; love your plait, too. How long did they take to grow? The lettuce photo is fab. Well done you!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! The onions went in around March and we were told they would be spoilt from going in too early but they've done just fine. Maybe another year they wouldn't have but really pleased with them. Rhubarb is my favourite produce of the year so far! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  3. Lots of lovely photos. Great veg produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think photos are sometimes better than text aren't they, captures everything well. I'm really pleased for our first year.

      Delete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...