Wednesday 25 May 2016

Rhubarb and ginger jam

I am rather impressed with myself tonight. I have made rhubarb and ginger jam using our veg plot rhubarb and a jam making pan that I bought years ago but never got round to using. The pan was made for the Aga I am sure and I thoroughly enjoyed making it. I found it really relaxing and the smells were divine. Tomorrow I shall have some with breakfast and hope it tastes as good as I am expecting. Another rung on the self sufficient ladder, or at least a baby step in the right direction. This will last us right through the year although if it's nice I may give some of the kilner jar smaller ones in hampers for Christmas.

The weather here is being enoyed by the ducks and the fields! So much so that the ducklings decided to hatch and we have at least 2 but will leave Mam to do her thing and check tomorrow if we can. What a fabulously 'smallholding like' evening.

10 comments:

  1. Happy little steps , lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely, its nice having evenings like that, well done and if you eat it all you will have pick some more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it keeps on growing to harvest more. I made sure I left at least 2 stems as per my book. Chutney next time I think.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job! I have a steady supply of rhubarb from our neighbour until we get our own in in the autumn. Just need a jam pan now so will be asking hubs for one for our wedding anniv next month! No chocs or flowers for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same re gifts lol. My jam pan was a great buy after all! 7 years on !

      Delete
  4. These little steps are important. Well done, a taste of spring in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that is it seasonal produce and we're starting to live seasonally. I will be able to taste Spring in the Winter. Bliss!

      Delete
  5. Homemade jam is beautiful. Now you just need some homemade bread and homemade butter to with it : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread - I'm on it, butter, not yet but it's on the list :)

      Delete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...